If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete. – Jack Kornfield
- Cross your arms over chest.
- Put your thumbs together and fan your fingers into “wings”;
- Keep the tips of your middle fingers pointing up, touching just beneath the collarbone.
- Soften your gaze or close your eyes.
- Alternate movement of your hands, tapping your chest with your “wings” for 1-3 minutes, breathing deeply as you tap.
- Observe the sensations in your body.
If the butterfly doesn’t seem to work for you, keep in mind that any kind of bilateral movement, such as walking, shifting your weight from side to side, swimming, scanning your eyes back and forth across the horizon, and even drumming, are helpful ways to self-soothe.